CASE STUDY OF ‘KOREA EXPO-2017’
DIGITAL MARKETING CAMPAIGN for KOTRA.
Established in 1962 as a national trade promotion organization, KOTRA (Korea Trade Promotion Corporation) is a state-funded trade and investment promotion organization operated by the Government of South Korea. KOTRA serves as a bridge between Korean exporters and overseas buyers. It has facilitated Korea's rapid export-led economic development by helping foreign buyers get quality products at the most competitive prices through business matchmaking, international exhibition and e-Trade. Spread over 85 countries with its 125 overseas offices, KOTRA’s India office for the past 20 years has been regularly hosting small and medium sized events helping Korean businessmen visit India and arranging meetings between them and potential Indian importers.
About Korea Expo 2017:
After its repeated success in New York, London, Beijing and Tokyo, Korea Expo, a globally showcased exhibition organised by KOTRA in association with Ministry of Trade Industry & Energy (MOTIE-Korea) decided to bring it to New Delhi, India from 20th to 22nd September 2017, in Pragati Maidan, Hall # 7, New Delhi to showcase path breaking ideas and innovation in various industries, comprising 100 exporting companies from South Korea. Categories of products to be exhibited were: Agriculture, Automobile, Beauty & Fashion, Construction, Consumer Goods, Health & Hygiene, Industrial, Medical, Mobile & Telecom and Security. Event partners were FICCI and India SME Forum.
• Of the 40k visitors to the website in a span of a month, 25% conversions were registered.
• Close to 10,000 people downloaded ‘Free Entry Passes’ for the event and more than the estimated visitors, visited the event.
• All business targets were not only met but exceeded for one-to-one business meetings, signing of orders, contracts and MOU with suppliers at venue.
What were the takeaways?
• Visitor promotion for mid-size events can be achieved by online advertising purely – no print or radio ads are required.
• Visitors to an event can be estimated from the number of engagements on the website.
• Besides mailing, B2B leads can also be generated through online advertising.
• Facebook can be a good source of B2C leads while Google Adwords a good source for both B2B and B2C leads.
Kotra needed to make the event, Korea Expo 2017 a success in India. The objectives were primarily three:
1. They wanted the event to be visited by as many Indians possible, so as to give enough exposure to the participating companies in India. They thought it would be possible only if Indians were informed about South Korea as a country that produced technologically superior products and a leading exporter of goods in the world.
2. They wanted to target Indian businessmen, importers, traders and manufacturers of the 10 industries so that they could fix one-to-one business meetings, signing of orders, contracts and MOU with suppliers at venue.
3. They wanted Indian businessmen to participate in the Korea-India Economic Cooperation Forum 2017, which was to be addressed by minister and top government officials of both the countries.
After designing and developing the website KoreaExpo.in in two weeks flat from the date of the order, KOTRA was ready to go to market with a 10-page website. The campaign start date was 22nd August & end date was 21st September.
Abhiyan suggested the following strategy:
First, a massive branding campaign with the objective of creating a brand perception among the people of Delhi NCR about Korea as a country that produced technologically superior products; that it was a leading exporter of goods in the world and India; that Korea was a household name in India because of brands like Hyundai, Samsung and LG; and how Korea was one of India’s largest trading partners today.The promotion was to be limited to Delhi NCR region only, from where potential customers could come and visit the fair. The campaign comprised display/banner ads on Google ad network and Facebook targeting general visitors in Delhi NCR region.
Second, a lead generation campaign promoting each of the 10 product categories (Agriculture, Automobile, Beauty & Fashion, Construction, Consumer Goods, Health & Hygiene, Industrial, Medical, Mobile & Telecom and Security) among the target audience of Indian businessmen, importers, traders and manufacturers. The objective was to fix one-to-one business meetings, signing of orders, contracts and MOU with suppliers at venue during the 3-day event They needed to be shortlisted well in advance. The campaign comprised search marketing and display (banner) ads on Google ad network, Facebook ads and banner ad campaigns in B2B sites such as Trade India and India Mart targeting businessmen in Delhi NCR region only, from where potential businessmen could come and have one-to-one meetings. 10 separate search marketing campaigns were executed for all product each product category individually and one campaign was run on combined product categories.
Third, a Visitor Promotion Campaign (lead generation cum branding campaign) with the objective of making potential visitors download FREE ENTRY PASSES to the event. The campaign comprised search marketing and display (banner) ads on Google ad network and Facebook ads. The geography was Delhi NCR.
Fourth, targeted Email Marketing Campaign on B2B databases.